
I guess I've been thinking about the spring for sometime now. I usually start thinking about gardening in the middle of February. It seemed to come even earlier this year with the Christie Pits Community Garden project. Going to meetings and workshops, working on posters and starting seeds has made the long and antsy winter months fly by. Now that project is storming ahead full speed, I can hardly keep up.
I think the better at gardening one becomes, the longer the season becomes. You learn what you can do while it's still cold. You learn what crops can be eaten out of the garden in mid-December and how to get the most out of cool-crop rotations. I cannot wait to see what I will be capable of next year.
I'm sitting next to my seedling shelf. I feel like it keeps me in the office all day. It's not like they are going anywhere just yet, but I like to keep a close watch. This morning I woke up to find at least four different varieties of tomato had started to sprout. The hairy little seeds growing quietly...pushing themselves up through the dirt with the energy of an idea. I hope the eggplants get the same idea. I need to buy some heating mats because I've read they really need bottom heat to get started. What dramatic little ladies they must be.



These photos are from this Saturday at the Trinity Bellwoods greenhouse. They were gracious enough to allow us a shelf to start seedlings for the communal plots. Between Joan, Deveri and I, we planted 8 varieties of tomatoes! We also started some peppers, amaranth, okra, broccoli and eggplants. The greenhouse is great and if anyone is interested in some shelf space, Gayla from You Grow Girl is starting a collective. Check it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment