Friday, November 12, 2010

Halloween: The Food

Some pals I work with planned an amazing Halloween party and asked if I would help them out the the food. I said, "heck yes!" since it meant getting to hang with them, cook and bake stuff and not have people come to my house! Jokes! I actually love it when people come to my house but my place could never accommodate a full-scale party situation. Ben and Nat own a stellar home north of Queen Street in Parkdale and have lots of space for smoke machines, spooky decorations, dance floors and dead bodies.
My favorite part was meeting up to chat about what they wanted for the party. We went for drinks at a new place in my 'hood called Drift where we checked out some hilarifying stuff online for inspiration. Nat asked if I could make a sacrificial red velvet lamb cake to celebrate a girl who was having a midnight birthday. I did it but I'm still trying to track down some snaps because I didn't take any. You will just have to trust that it was delicious and disgusting at the same time. Success! All the cheeses were picked up at the Green Barns farmer's market. They are from my favorite cheese freaks, Montforte.

Nuclear waste punch made with grapefruit perrier, melon liquor, vodka, lemons and limes and a bunch of fruit.
These cupcakes were fun to make! The are filled with a rockmelon sago pudding and topped with green tea frosting.


I wish I would have got a close-up of the meathand but you get the idea. Check out the slimy mud pie in the background (beer and nut brownies with gummy worms).


Have you seen more frightening crudites? Unlikely! The pumpkin housed "Day of the Dead" dip. Ah hum...black beans. We also had roasted bat wings (blackened chicken wings) and shark attack skewers with "chum" sauce (satay chicken with a red dipping sauce) but they were not ready for their close-up at picture time.



No comments:

Post a Comment